In December 2011, the law school received an exceedingly generous multimillion dollar gift from Robert H. McKinney, a well-known community banker, attorney, and civic leader.
When matched with funds from the IUPUI IMPACT fundraising campaign, his donation resulted in a total gift of $31.5 million. To honor his generosity, the law school took his name, becoming the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law.
This gift is completely in character for McKinney, a man who has made it a mission to give back throughout an exemplary career as a founding partner of Bose, McKinney & Evans LLP, and later, as chairman and CEO of First Indiana Corporation.
He is a director of the U.S. Naval Academy Foundation; serves on the boards of the Indiana University Foundation, the Conservation Law Center, and the Sierra Club Foundation; and is advising director of the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs. In addition, he has been a director of many civic corporations, including the Indianapolis Economic Club and the Indianapolis and Indiana Chambers of Commerce.
His gift was the latest in a long history of donations by our generous alumni.
Through the generosity of Anita C. Inlow, widow of Lawrence W. Inlow, the law school moved into the building that carries his name, Lawrence W. Inlow Hall, in 2001.
Lawrence Inlow was a graduate of Harvard Law School and president of Conseco. He was active in several community organizations throughout his lifetime, including the Boy Scouts of America, the Carmel Dad’s Club, and the Church Federation of Greater Indianapolis. He was regarded by colleagues as a brilliant attorney and an outstanding community leader. We are proud to reside in a building honoring his memory.
Our story began more than 100 years ago. That’s when the Indiana Law School was founded as part of the newly minted University of Indianapolis.
In 1936 the school merged with the Benjamin Harrison Law School.
In 1944 the school became affiliated with Indiana University and received a new name—the Indianapolis Division of the IU School of Law. The following year, the school moved into the Maennerchor Building, an architectural landmark in Indianapolis that housed the school until 1970.
In 1968 we became autonomous and were renamed the Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis—a name we kept until being renamed the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 2011.