When you’re ready to take the next step in your law career, getting a Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree from the IU McKinney School of Law can help.
The LL.M. degree is designed to deliver in-depth knowledge in a specific area, such as health law, intellectual property, international and comparative law, international human rights, or American law for foreign lawyers.
The LL.M. program has two purposes:
- it gives currently practicing U.S. lawyers a place to hone their skills and deepen their knowledge base on a specific subject
- it helps licensed lawyers from other countries get to know American law in preparation for passing the Bar in the United States
As an LL.M. student, you’ll complete a 24-credit program. If you attend on a full-time basis, you can complete your degree in a single year. Foreign students, note that to satisfy visa regulations, you must finish within eighteen months.
However, if you are a domestic student, you have up to three academic years to complete the degree requirements, and can take classes on a part-time or evening basis.
The LL.M. program includes:
- Area-specific coursework with a wide range of elective options
- Externship and optional practical training (OPT) opportunities
- A research component and Master's thesis (optional for the American Law for Foreign Lawyers track)
- Advanced English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction at no cost if needed
- The opportunity to publish your thesis, if in a thesis track, on the ScholarWorks network at Indiana University. This network makes your research available to lawyers and legal scholars worldwide.
Eligibility requirements for the LL.M. program
To gain admission to the LL.M. program at the law school, you must demonstrate academic achievement, professional accomplishment, and English language competency. In addition, you must satisfy one of the following education requirements:
- Hold a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school in the U.S.
- Hold a first degree in law or comparable from a university outside of the U.S.
- Prove that you are licensed to practice outside the U.S. (foreign applicants only)
Events LL.M. Program
- Sep 18
International Student Speaker Series: "Experiences and Insights as a Judge in China & Understanding the Character of Chinese Trademark Law System"
The International Student Speaker Series presents Experiences and Insights as a Judge in China & Understanding the Character of Chinese Trademark Law System.
- Oct 23
Graduate Studies Lecture Series: "The Missing Link in Achieving the Gender Equality We Want and Need"
The IUPUI Office of International Affairs, IU McKinney Graduate Studies and International Affairs present The Missing Link in Achieving the Gender Equality We Want and Need with Regina Amadi-Njoku.
News LL.M. Program
- September 15, 2014
- September 11, 2014
- August 26, 2014
- December 11, 2013