April 17, 2012
ISBA CLE Program
Effective Enforcement and Prosecution of Animal Cruelty
Speaker: Sherry Ramsey, Esq., Director of Animal Cruelty Prosecutions, The Humane Society of the US; Kathryn R. Hostetter, Esq., Administrative Law Judge, IN
Time: 1:00 - 4:30 pm
Location: Inlow Hall, 530 W. New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
Contact: Heather Shah, SPHR (aLsindy@iupui.edu)
The Indiana State Bar Association's Animal Law Section and the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law Animal Law Society present, "Effective Enforcement and Prosecution of Animal Cruelty" on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in room 385, Inlow Hall. 3.0 hours of CLE credit available (pending approval).
Speakers include: Sherry Ramsey, Esq., Director of Animal Cruelty Prosecutions, The Humane Society of the United States and Kathryn R. Hostetter, Esq., Administrative Law Judge, Indiana.
Animal cruelty cases can present unique problems for prosecutors and law enforcement as well as others interested in seeking justice for abused animals. This seminar will cover important information for successfully prosecuting animal cruelty crimes, including a review of the Indiana state cruelty laws, and a discussion of the link between animal cruelty and future violent behavior, with a focus on domestic violence and juvenile crime. Other topics will include prosecuting puppy mill and other large volume cruelty cases, such as organized animal fighting, and extreme neglect crimes. Additionally, the seminar will provide training relating to the preparation of an animal cruelty case, including expert witnesses, forensic tests, photographs and sentencing considerations.
Primary and remote hosted sites (with CLE credit awarded):
- Primary Hosted Site - Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (IH 385, 530 New York Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202. Join us for lunch and informal conversation from 12:30 1:00 p.m. Bring your own lunch or purchase something delicious from the law schools café )
- Remote Hosted Site - Valparaiso University School of Law (St. Louis Room 134, 656 S. Greenwich St. Valparaiso, Indiana 46383)
- Remote Hosted Site - Barnes & Thornburg, LLP (600 One Summit Square, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802)
- Remote Hosted Site - Rudolph, Fine, Porter & Johnson, LLP (221 N.W. Fifth Street, Evansville, Indiana 47706)
- Un-hosted sites viewable from your own computer (no CLE credit awarded)
- Attorney ISBA Member with CLE (must attend at one of the hosted sites) - $100
- Attorney non-ISBA Member with CLE (must attend at one of the hosted sites) - $125
- Attorney, no CLE credit awarded (access to program URL and materials) - $50
- Law school student FREE (but please register so that we have enough seats and materials)
- Not an attorney and not a law school student (attending at a hosted site) - $40
- Not an attorney and not a law student (access to program URL and materials) - $20
To register contact: Heather Shah, SPHR (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Parking is available for a nominal fee at the campus Gateway Garage, located on the corner of Michigan and California Streets. (Address is 525 Blackford Street). Parking is also available for a nominal fee at the Natatorium Garage two blocks west of the law school.