May 29, 2014 - June 1, 2014
Association of Academic Support Educators Conference
Association of Academic Support Educators - Second Annual National Conference
Location: Inlow Hall, 530 W. New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
Contact: AASE Conference Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
The IU McKinney School of Law is honored to host the
2nd Annual Association of Academic Support Educators Conference!
General conference information:
The conference hotel will be the Westin Indianapolis. The Westin is situated in the heart of downtown Indianapolis just footsteps away from the Indiana State House and several premiere local attractions including the Indianapolis Zoo, Eiteljorg Museum, Indiana State Museum and White River State Park.
The hotel is also down the street from Victory Field, home to the Indianapolis Indians. The Indians are in town during our conference so we hope to catch a game while you're here! There is so much to do and see in Indianapolis and we're all looking forward to reconnecting with colleagues from across the country and around the world to share and learn about ideas, research and scholarship related to academic support and bar preparation. Want to learn more about Indianapolis? Visit Indy will keep you in the know!
Conference Registration Information: AASE 2014 National Conference Registration Link
Conference Program: The conference program is available for viewing at AASE Conference Program.
Conference questions: Please contact our AASE Conference Committee at email@example.com
Who we are: The AASE is a professional organization for law school academic support educators. We invite fellow academic support educators, interested faculty, administrators and friends to join us in Indianapolis on Thursday, May 29, 2014 to Sunday, June 1, 2014 to:
- Learn about innovative academic support and bar pass programs from around the country;
- Discuss the latest academic support research trends;
- Engage in professional development topics including publishing, teaching skills development, social media, and effective communication strategies;
- Network and share ideas with academic support colleagues;
- Celebrate another successful academic year for our members; and
- Elect our executive board and regional representatives from the membership.
AASE membership information: Joining AASE allows you access to our TWEN page, stocked with the handouts presenters provide during their presentations. Membership will also connect you with a professional organization. Membership fees are low ($35). We would be delighted to have you join us in collaborative fellowship. AASE membership application For membership inquiries please e-mail AASEmembership@gmail.com.
AASE 2014 CONFERENCE – FAQs
Where is the AASE 2014 national conference located at?
The AASE National Conference 2014 will be held at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. The address is 530 W. New York St., Indianapolis, IN 46202. The law school's phone number is 317-274-8523.
When can I pick up my registration packet at the conference?
The registration table will be located in the Atrium on the first floor of the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. The registration times are as follows:
Thursday – 10:30am to 5:00pm
Friday - 9:00am to 4:30pm
Saturday - 9:00am to 12:00pm
What meals will be provided during the conference?
Breakfast: served at the Westin outside Senate Rooms 1, 2 and 3
Thursday May 29th
Friday May 30th
Saturday May 31st
Lunch: served at the Law School
Thursday May 29th
Friday May 30th
Saturday May 31st.
Friday, May 30th.
There will be coffee/tea service and snacks available during the conference in the Atrium.
Are there networking opportunities?
We have a conversation lounge available outside of the Atrium at the law school. Come meet colleagues during specific breaks throughout the program schedule.
What is the official Facebook page for the conference?
What is the official hashtag for the conference?
The official hashtag is #AASE2014. Make sure you use #AASE2014.
I have questions, who do I contact?
You can always e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. At the conference, our registration/help desk will be in the Atrium of the law school. You can tweet @AASE with #AskAASE and we can try to answer questions there too.
How do I get to the hotel from the airport?
- The Go Green Airport Shuttle is the express Indianapolis Airport shuttle serving Downtown Indianapolis. The shuttle operates from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm 7 days a week. It's $10.00 one-way and at the airport, cash and major credit cards are accepted but walkups may have to wait for the next shuttle. Please click the link to make a reservation online today. http://goexpresstravel.com/indy_express; TIP: The closest dropoff and pickup location is the Indiana Convention Center.
- Carey Indiana offers share-a-ride service to the hotel from the airport's Ground Transportation Center. Typical fee is $16 each way and reservations are required. Reservations can be made online at www.careyindiana.com or by phone 24/7 at: (317) 241-6700. Drivers accept major credit cards or cash
- Yellow Cab is available 24 hours, 7 days a week and the cab ride fee from the airport to the hotel fee averages $25-$35 depending on traffic.
Where can I get driving directions to the Westin hotel from the airport or any other location? http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/area/transportation.html?propertyID=1033
Where can I learn more about the Westin and amenities available for guests?
Visit the Westin’s website for photos, features and http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=1033
What is the dress code for the week?
The dress code is casual for the week. We strongly encourage conference attendees to wear their school spirit apparel (e.g. rugby, polo, or T-shirt from your law school) on Friday, May 30th. Past participants strongly recommend bringing lots of business cards to share with colleagues you meet during the conference and wearing comfortable shoes as you can expect to walk throughout the day or to/from the hotel if you wish to enjoy the warmer weather.
Weather forecast: low 80s during the day and high 60s in the evening.
Where can I park at the law school?
Conference guests can purchase parking permits at the registration desk for $5 per day (cash only) or park at the Gateway Garage on Michigan Street. Garage hourly parking rates are available at: http://www.parking.iupui.edu/Visitors/VisitorParkingRates.aspx
What is the schedule for the business meetings on Sunday, June 1?
Business meeting schedules will be included with your conference registration materials.
I am a newbie to the ASP community - how do I prepare myself for my first national conference?
Thank you for choosing the AASE national conference as a professional development activity. We look forward to helping you get the most out of the conference. We strongly encourage you to participate in sessions, network with colleagues, and ask question to maximize your experience. We hope this is the beginning of your involvement with AASE. Enjoy your first national conference!
What to do before the Annual Conference:
- Plan your conference schedule based on the program available online on our conference home page: http://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/events/current.cfm?eid=165 .
You can see each session's title and draft your personal conference schedule.
- Have empty space available in your luggage to be able to bring session handouts and vendor materials.
- Check in early - the earlier, the better!
- Pick up the appropriate ribbons for AASE committees you are interested in joining
- Sign up for a Dinner Group at the Registration Desk. This is a great way to meet other attendees and share an evening of entertainment. Volunteers will have suggestions for restaurants.
What to do after the Conference:
- Fill out the evaluation that will be in your registration packet at the conclusion of the conference.
- Visit our TWEN site to download session handouts. Presenters are asked to submit their handouts to the Program Committee within 10 business days following the conference. You may find the handouts to a session that you wanted to attend but missed.
STAYING ACTIVE IN INDY
I am a walker/runner, do you have jogging/walking maps for the Westin and downtown Indy?
Visit the Westin’s website for a running map designed by New Balance with 3-mile and 5-mile routes from the hotel – see: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/features/fas_detail.html?propertyID=1033&fasXRefId=1004292647
If you would like to explore Indianapolis by foot check out the Visit Indy app which provides Indy Audio Tours: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/visit-indy/id410999960?mt=8
Also, there are several downtown trails listed on the VisitIndy website: http://visitindy.com/top-ten-walk-run-bike
I heard there is a new BikeShare program where I can rent a bike for a quick ride– is this true?
Yes – our local NBA team the Indiana Pacers host a BikeShare program with several convenient rental locations close to the Westin on Maryland Street, Washington Street, and Capitol Avenue. For more information visit https://www.pacersbikeshare.org/home/
Any attractions that I can walk to close to the Westin?
The Indiana State Museum and NCAA Hall of Champions are both three blocks away (7 minute walk). The Indiana Historical Society and Circle Center Mall are also three blocks away. We are within 5-10 minute walking distance of Victory Field (home of the Indianapolis Indians) and Lucas Oil Stadium (home of the Indianapolis Colts). The Indianapolis Zoo is five blocks away and within a 15-minute walk.