B.A., magna cum laude,1982, Lawrence University
J.D. cum laude, 1989, University of Wisconsin
M.S., 2005, University of Illinois
Legal Analysis, Research and Communication (LARC), Legal Research, Legal Research-Master of Laws (LL.M.) Program – American Law for Foreign Lawyers
Catherine Lemmer supervises the public services division of the law library as Head of Information Services. She teaches legal research in the first year research and writing classes and in the Master of Laws (LL.M.) Program - American Law for Foreign Lawyers. She is a teacher and co-creator of the required for-credit online legal research class for second year J.D. students and has designed research instruction for specific law school courses.
Professor Lemmer serves as a faculty research liaison and provides general reference and research support services to faculty and students. She developed and coordinates the library faculty research assistant program and provides research support for international law projects. She also serves as the liaison to the Indiana International & Comparative Law Review and as the faculty advisor to the Master of Laws student organization.
She is the incoming editor of AALL Spectrum and serves as co-editor of the law school’s Legal Scholarship Network: Legal Studies Research Paper Series (SSRN). She has presented at regional, state, and national library conferences and is a member of a number of legal and librarian professional organizations.
Professor Lemmer is active in numerous professional committees at the university, state, and national level dedicated to library research and scholarship, library leadership, and continuing legal education. She is the current and inaugural chair of the Indiana State Library Professional Development Committee and serves on the AALL Academic Law Libraries SIS Continuing Education Committee and AALL Academic Law Libraries SIS Research and Scholarship Committee.
Prior to her appointment to the law library faculty, she was the Project Manager for Evergreen Indiana, a 100-member library consortium. In this position, she was responsible for implementing a state-wide open source integrated library system initiative in partnership with the Indiana State Library. She was also a partner with the Chicago law firm of Vedder Price P.C., specializing in corporate and financial institutions law, and has held management positions in a public library.
She is a fellow of the Summer 2012 Harvard University Graduate School Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians and a member of the Order of the Coif, Phi Beta Kappa, and Beta Phi Mu.
Her research interests include online education, educational technology, competitive intelligence, leadership, and continuing legal education.
Books and Chapters
- "Locating Company Information for Business Development and Due Diligence Purposes," in Find It Fast and Free on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web, National Business Institute (2012).
Law Review and Journal Articles
- *“'A view from the flip side' Using the “inverted classroom” to enhance the legal research information literacy of the international LL.M. student," forthcoming 105 Law Libr. J. ___(2013).
- *"Book review: Leslie Paik, Discretionary Justice: Looking Inside a Juvenile Drug Court," 104 Law Libr. J. 323-325 (2012).
- "Book review: Wyoma vanDuinkerken and Pixey Anne Mosley, The Challenge of Library Management: Leading with Emotional Engagement," 73 C. & Res. Libr. 97-99 (2012).
- "Book review: Jay M. Feinman, Law 101: Everything You Need to Know About American Law, 3rd ed.," 39 Int. J. Legal Info. 264-267 (2011).
- "Book Review: Danny Oppenheimer and Mike Edwards, Democracy Despite Itself: Why a System That Shouldn't Work at All Works So Well," Wis. Law., Sept. 2012, at 40,41.
- "RLLL Mobile Turns One: Reflections on how we developed a library mobile site from the ground up," AALL Spectrum, June 2013, at 14-16, 35 (with Hannah Alcasid).
- Antitrust Law Research Guide
- Bankrupty Law Research Guide
- App'late Review, Vols. 1-8 (Summer 2012) (with Susan deMaine).
- “Legal Information Literacy in the 21st Century,” invited presenter for the Indiana State Library 21st Century Literacy Days, August 1, 9, and 16, 2013.
- "Don't Assume the Peanut Butter is in the Pantry!: Demystifying Project Management," American Association of Law Libraries Annual Conference, Seattle, Washington, July 2013 (co-presenter of 1/2 day workshop).
- "Step Away from Click Here!: Using Problem Based Learning to Develop Informed Learners," Indiana University Librarians' Day, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 7, 2013.
- "21st Century Literacy: An Introduction to Legal Information Literacy for Non-Law Librarians," Institutional Librarians of Indiana Workshop, Indianapolis, Indiana, May 13, 2013.
- "Locating Company Information for Business Development and Due Diligence Purposes, National Business Institute," Indianapolis, Indiana, December 20, 2012.
- "Partnering for Pro-action: Using talent not titles to deliver the unexpected," Mid-America Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting 2012, October 25, 2012, St. Louis, Missouri (co-presenter).
- "Don't Forget to Stop at the Library on the Way to Google: Law Library Resources and Tips," Robert H. McKinney School of Law Faculty Colloquia Series 2012-2013, September 2012.
- "Send Your Faculty to Summer School: Designing an iPad App Education Program to Support Faculty Research and Scholarly Communication," IU Librarians' Day, June 8, 2012 (co-presenter).
- "Posting on Facebook Doesn't Mean I Want You to Know!: Exploring privacy and confidentiality issues in the library context," 2012 Indiana Library Federation District 2 Conference, May 4, 2012.
- "Pocket Library: Introducing Mobile Technology for the Law Library," Ruth Lilly Law Library, April 2012 (co-presenter).
- "Designing an Effective Online Legal Research Class for Law Students," Ohio Regional Association of Law Librarians (ORALL) 2011 Annual Conference, October 19-21, 2011, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- "Techi-Tidbits: Three + 2 Technology Trends We Can't Afford to Ignore," Ruth Lilly Law Library, January 27, 2011.
- “What Can $930 Million Do for Library Services Nationwide? The Impact and Future Directions of LSTA,” American Library Association Annual Conference, July 2009 (panelist).