Susan David deMaine
Research and Instruction Librarian, Ruth Lilly Law Library
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Lawrence W. Inlow Hall,
530 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3225
Phone: (317) 274-1925
Fax: (317) 274-8873
B.A., highest distinction, Pennsylvania State University
M.S.L.S., 1996, University of Kentucky
J.D., summa cum laude, 1999, University of Kentucky
Legal Analysis, Research, and Communication; Legal Research
Susan David deMaine joined the library staff in 2011. She teaches the law school’s required for-credit online legal research class for second-year students, serves as a faculty research liaison, provides reference services, and facilitates the Faculty Writers’ Circle. She has also taught the first-year legal writing class.
She is active in professional committees at both the university and national levels with a focus on librarian leadership and scholarship. She is also a member of the inaugural class of the Indiana Library Leadership Academy of the Indiana State Library.
Prior to her appointment in the law school, Professor deMaine clerked for the late Honorable David A. Nelson on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. She also spent several years working with nonprofit corporations specializing in education. At the University of Kentucky, Professor deMaine served as the Special Projects Editor of the Kentucky Law Review , was selected as a Bert T. Combs Scholar, and received the Faculty Cup for Outstanding Contributions to the Law School.
Books and Chapters
- *Susan David deMaine et al., Using Digital Badges to Enhance Research Instruction in Academic Libraries, in CREATING THE 21ST-CENTURY LIBRARY (2015) (with Hannah Alcasid, Benjamin J. Keele, and Catherine A. Lemmer).
- Susan David deMaine. Legal Ethics in the Digital Age, in FIND IT FREE AND FAST ON THE NET: STRATEGIES FOR LEGAL RESEARCH ON THE WEB, National Business Institute (2012).
Law Review and Journal Articles
- *Susan David deMaine, From Disability to Usability in Online Instruction, 106 L. LIBR. J. ___ (December 2014).
- *Susan David Dwyer. The Hemp Controversy: Can Industrial Hemp Save Kentucky’s Farmers? 86 KENTUCKY L.J. 1143 (1998).
- *Susan David deMaine. Running from the Law: A Review of Prigg v. Pennsylvania by H. Robert Baker. 105 L. LIB. J. 540 (2013).
- Susan David deMaine. Making Sense: A Review of Joseph Kimble's Writing for Dollars, Writing to Please. AALL SPECTRUM BLOG (August 22, 2012).
- Susan David deMaine, Learning Leadership, 26 InULA Notes (No. 1, 2014).
- Susan David deMaine. Access for All: A review of “Law Libraries, Government Transparency, and the Internet,” a presentation by Daniel Schuman of the Sunlight Foundation at the ALL-SIS Meeting, July 22, 2012. ORALL NEWSLETTER (September 2012).
- Susan David deMaine, Modeling Critical Thinking in Legal Research, RIPS LAW LIBRARIAN BLOG (May 16, 2014).
- Susan David deMaine, Running a Library Research Assistant Program, RIPS LAW LIBRARIAN BLOG (March 26, 2014).
- Susan David deMaine, Scouting the Possibilities of Digital Badges, RIPS LAW LIBRARIAN BLOG (February 8, 2014).
- Susan David deMaine, Opening the Doors, RIPS LAW LIBRARIAN BLOG (November 21, 2013).
- Susan David deMaine, “The information on this website may not be up to date:” The government shutdown and free access to legal information, RIPS LAW LIBRARIAN BLOG (October 6, 2013).
- Susan David deMaine, Flipping the Classroom for 1L Legal Research Instruction, RIPS LAW LIBRARIAN BLOG (August 28, 2013).
- Susan David deMaine and Catherine A. Lemmer. APP’LATE REVIEW, Vols. 1-8 (Summer 2012).
- From Disability to Usability in Online Instruction, Ohio River Association of Law Librarians, Cincinnati, OH (Oct. 17, 2014).
- Not Just for Scouting Anymore: Digital Badges for Legal Research Instruction, Mid-America Association of Law Librarians, Chicago, IL (Oct. 6, 2014) (with Hannah Alcasid, Benjamin J. Keele, and Catherine A. Lemmer).
- Spotlight on the ADA, American Association of Law Libraries Conference, San Antonio, TX (July 14, 2013) (with Ed Hart).
- Real simple, real design, real communication, National Business Institute, Indianapolis, IN (Jul. 30, 2014).
- Collaboration's best-kept secret, National Business Institute, Indianapolis, IN (Jul. 30, 2014).
- Not Just for Scouting Anymore: Digital Badges for Legal Research Instruction, American Association of Law Libraries Conference, San Antonio, TX (July 15, 2014) (poster presentation) (with Hannah Alcasid, Benjamin J. Keele, and Catherine A. Lemmer).
- From Disability to Usability in Online Instruction, Indiana University Librarians’ Day, Indianapolis, IN (June 13, 2014).
- It’s 3 A.M. – Show Me!, American Association of Law Librarians Conference, Seattle, WA (July 14,2013) (with James Murphy, Sarah Mauldin, and Jennifer Wondracek).
- Reaching Students Where They Are: Ensuring Universal Accessibility in Online Instruction, 2013 Conference for Law School Computing, Chicago, IL (June 14, 2013) (with Edward Finn III).
- It’s 3 A.M. – Show Me!, Southeastern American Association of Law Librarians Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA (April 20, 2013) (with James Murphy, Sarah Mauldin, and Jennifer Wondracek).
- Legal Ethics in the Digital Age, National Business Institute: Find it Free and Fast on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web, Indianapolis, IN (December 20, 2012).
- Partnering for Pro-Action: Using Talent Instead of Titles to Deliver the Unexpected, Mid-America Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO, October 25, 2012 (co-presenter).
- Send Your Faculty to Summer School: Developing an iPad App Education Program to Support Faculty Research and Scholarship, Indiana University Librarians' Day, Indianapolis, IN, June 8, 2012 (with Catherine A. Lemmer).
- Occupy Congress: Using ProQuest Congressional to Find 99% of the Information You Need, Indianapolis Law Librarians’ Association, Indianapolis, IN (May 9, 2012).