Nicolas P. Terry
Hall Render Professor of Law
Co-director of the William S. and Christine S. Hall Center for Law and Health
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Lawrence W. Inlow Hall,
530 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3225
Phone: (317) 274-8087
SSRN | Curriculum Vitae | Web Page
B.A. (Hons. Law), 1975, Kingston University
LL.M., 1977, Corpus Christi College, University of Cambridge
Nicolas P. Terry is the Hall Render Professor of Law at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. He serves as Co-Director of the Hall Center for Law and Health. Professor Terry teaches Torts, Products Liability, Health Information Technology, Law & Science, and Health Care Quality.
Educated at Kingston University and the University of Cambridge, Professor Terry began his academic career as a member of the law faculty of the University of Exeter in England. He has served as a Senior Fellow at Melbourne Law School and held visiting faculty positions at the law schools of Santa Clara University, the University of Missouri-Columbia, Washington University, and the University of Iowa. From 2000-08, Professor Terry served as co-director of Saint Louis University’s Center for Health Law Studies. From 2008-10, Terry served as the School of Law’s Senior Associate Dean.
Professor Terry’s research interests lie primarily at the intersection of medicine, law, and information technology. He is a permanent blogger at the HealthLawProf Blog and at Harvard Law School's Bill of Health.
Law Review and Journal Articles
- “Anticipating Stage Two: Assessing the Development of Meaningful Use and EMR Deployment” , 21(1) Annals of Health Law 103-19 (2012).
- “Fear of Facebook: Private Ordering of Social Media Risks Incurred by Healthcare Providers” 90 Neb. L. Rev. 703-51 (2012).
- “Foreword: Drug-Drug Interaction Warnings as Technological Iatrogenesis,” 5(2) Saint Louis University Journal of Health Law & Policy, 251-55 (2012).
Work in Progress
- “Meaningful Adoption: What We Know or Think We Know about the Financing, Effectiveness, Quality, and Safety of Electronic Medical Records,” xx J. Legal Medicine xxx (forthcoming 2012)
- “Information Technology’s Failure to Disrupt Healthcare” xx Nevada LJ xxx (forthcoming 2012)
- "Social Media Data and the Physician-Patient Relationship," at ASLME/Health Law Teachers Conference, Arizona State University School of Law, June 9, 2012
- “The Rhetoric of Social Media” on Panel "Rhetoric in Health Law," at SEALS, July 2012, Amelia Island, Florida
- “How do Social Media, Mobile Devices, Medical Devices and Implants, Online “Health Websites”, and Clouds Threaten Health Privacy?” at Health Privacy Summit, Georgetown Law Center, June 6-8, 2012
- Keynote, SIH/SIU Health Policy Institute, "EHRs, EMRs, and Healthcare Information Technology: To Meaningful Use and Beyond” May 18, 2012
- The Ethics Of ICASM In Healthcare: Social Policy, Legal Responses, And Medical Strategy at The Ethical use of Internet Cloud Based Apps and Social Media (ICASM) in Health Care, Hofstra University Bioethics Center, April 24, 2012.