Benjamin J. Keele
Research and Instruction Librarian, Ruth Lilly Law Library
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Lawrence W. Inlow Hall,
530 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3225
Phone: (317) 274-1929
B.A., 2006, Highest Distinction , University of Nebraska-Lincoln
J.D., 2009, Magna cum laude and Order of the Coif, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
M.L.S., 2010, Indiana University School of Library & Information Science
Benjamin Keele joined the law library faculty in late 2012. Previously he was a Reference Librarian and Adjunct Professor of Law at the Wolf Law Library of the William & Mary Law School. He taught legal research courses and served as liaison librarian the William & Mary’s law journals. He is vice chair of the AALL/LexisNexis Call for Papers Committee, co-editor of a book review column in Law Library Journal, and has presented at professional association meetings. Ben's research interests include copyright, scholarly publishing, and privacy law. He has written numerous articles and co-authored a book, The Librarian’s Copyright Companion 2nd Edition, with James S. Heller and
Paul Hellyer. Ben earned his JD (magna cum laude) from Indiana University
Maurer School of Law, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Indiana Journal
of Global Legal Studies. He earned his MLS from Indiana University.
Books and Chapters
- *Dingledy, F. W., Keele, B. J., & Sekula, J. E. Collection development, licensing, and acquisitions. In Balleste, R., Luna-Lamas, S., & Smith-Butler, L. (Forthcoming October 2013). Law Librarianship in the Twenty-First Century, 2nd. ed., Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press.
- Heller, J. S., Hellyer, P., & Keele, B. J. (2012). The Librarian’s Copyright Companion, 2nd ed. Buffalo, New York: William S. Hein & Co., Inc.
Law Review and Journal Articles
- *Keele, B. J. & Pearse, M. (2012). How librarians can help improve law journal publishing. Law Library Journal, 104(3). 383-410.
- Keele, B. J. (2012). Advising faculty on law journal publication agreements. ALL-SIS Newsletter, 31(2), 3-4, 11-12.
- Keele, B. J. (2011). Splitting hairs: What subtle distinctions teach us about authority. AALL Spectrum, 16(3), 14-16.
- Keele, B. J. (2011). Copyright and research in Google book search. Virginia Lawyer, 60(3), 46-49.
- *Keele, B. J. (2010). A primer on digital object identifiers for law librarians. Trends in Law Library Management and Technology, 20, 35-40.
- *Keele, B. J. (2010). Copyright provisions in law journal publication agreements. Law Library Journal, 102(2), 269-283.
- Keele, B. J. (2009). Open access to student-edited law journals. Student Lawyer, 37(6), 17.
- *Keele, B. J. (2009). Privacy by deletion: The need for a global data deletion principle.Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, 16(1), 363-384.
- *Keele, B. J. (2007). Ganging up against the courts: Congressional curtailment of judicial review, 1988-2004. Pi Sigma Alpha Undergraduate Journal of Politics, 7(2), 174-196.
Essays and Reports
- Heller, J. S., Hellyer, P., & Keele, B. J. (2012). Ruling in Georgia State Copyright Case is Mostly Good News for Libraries. AALL Spectrum Blog.
- Keele, B. (2012). Keeping and deleting patron records in law libraries. VoxPopuLII.
- Keele, B. J. (2013). Review of Someday All This Will Be Yours: A History of Inheritance and Old Age. LH&RB 19(1), 52-54.
- Keele, B. J. (2013). Review of The Mind and Method of the Legal Academic. AALL Spectrum Blog
- *Keele, B. J. (2012). Review of Copyright for Teachers & Librarians in the 21st Century. Journal of Academic Librarianship 38(4), 248.
- Keele, B. (2012). Review of Framed: America's 51 Constitutions and the Crisis of Governance. AALL Spectrum Blog.
- *Keele, B. J. (2012). Review of Reclaiming Fair Use: How to Put Balance Back in Copyright. Law Library Journal 104(2), 313-315.
- *Keele, B. J. (2012). Review of Citizens and E-Government: Evaluating Policy and Management, & http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/e-gov/. Government Information Quarterly 29(2), 307.
- *Keele, B. J. (2012). Review of Fundamentals of Government Information: Mining, Finding, Evaluating, and Using Government Resources. Journal of Academic Librarianship 38(1), 69-70.
- *Keele, B. J. (2012). Review of Patent Reform in the 112th Congress: Innovation Issues.Government Information Quarterly 29(1), 113.
- Keele, B. J. (2012). Review of The Nuremberg Military Tribunals and the Origins of International Criminal Law. International Journal of Legal Information 40(3), 599-600.
- *Keele, B. J. (2011). Review of Finding the Answers to Legal Questions. Journal of Academic Librarianship 37(6), 551.
- Keele, B. J. (2011). Review of A Dictionary of Intellectual Property Law. AALL Spectrum Blog.
- *Keele, B. J. (2011). Review of Research Handbook on the Protection of Intellectual Property under WTO Rules and Research Handbook on the Interpretation and Enforcement of Intellectual Property under WTO Rules. International Journal of Legal Information 39(2), 263-264.
- *Keele, B. J. (2011). Review of Intellectual Property and Human Development: Current Trends and Future Scenarios. International Journal of Legal Information 39(1), 98-100.
- *Keele, B. J. (2010). Review of Universities and Copyright Collecting Societies. International Journal of Legal Information, 38(2), 239-241.
- Keele, B. J. (2011). Review of Intellectual Freedom Manual, 8th ed. AALL Spectrum Blog.
- College Presentation (with Jim Heller and Paul Hellyer). Copyright Conversations, Part 2: Author Rights and Scholarly Work, at College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 20, 2012.
- College Presentation (with Jim Heller and Paul Hellyer). Copyright Conversations for Educators, at College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 6, 2012.
- *Accepted Presentation (with Fred Dingledy). What can I do with this?: Deciphering copyright license notices, at Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Portsmouth, Virginia, October 27, 2011.
- *Accepted Poster Session (with Michelle Pearse). Librarians can improve law journal publishing, at American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 23, 2011.
- Invited Presentation. Copyright and author agreements for open access law journals, at Implementing the Durham State: Best Practices for Open Access Law Journals, Durham, North Carolina, October 22, 2010.