B.S., 1971, Utah State University
J.D., 1974, University of Utah
LL.M., 1980, University of Virginia
Paul Cox retired in 2012 after 26 years at IU McKinney. Before joining the faculty in 1986, he was a professor of law at Valparaiso University and a visiting professor at the school of law at the University of Utah; William Mitchell College of Law; and Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. While a student at Utah, he served on the Utah Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. He is admitted to the Utah Bar (currently inactive). Following law school, he served as a Judge Advocate, United States Air Force; served as law clerk to the Honorable Robert H. McWilliams, United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit; and worked in corporate law for several law firms.
Books and Chapters
- EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION (Lexis-Matthew Bender Law Pub.
3rd ed. 1999), (Butterworths Pub. 2d ed. 1993), (Garland Pub. 1st ed. 1987)
- ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS TO EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION
(1985 - 2005)
- THE LAW OF EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION: CASES AND COMMENTARY (Lupus Pub., 1991) (self-published 2002-06)
- ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS TO THE LAW OF EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION: CASES AND COMMENTARY (1991-2006)
Law Review and Journal Articles
- An Interpretation and (Partial) Defense of Legal Formalism, 36 Ind. L. Rev. 57 100 (2003)
- The Public, The Private and The Corporation, 80
Marquette Law Review 392-530 (1997)
- On a Blindered Impact Model: A Response, 46
DePaul L. Rev. 265-313 (1997)
- A Defense of “Necessary Cause” In Individual Disparate
Treatment Theory Under Title VII, 11 St. Louis U. Pub.
L. Rev. 29-88 (1992)
- The Indiana Experiment in Corporate Law: A Critique,
24 Val. U. L. Rev. 185-253 (1990)
- The Supreme Court, Title VII and “Voluntary” Affirmative
Action: A Critique, 21 Ind. L. Rev. 767-888 (1988)
- The Future of the Disparate Impact Theory of Discrimination
After Watson v. Fort Worth Bank, 1988 B.Y.U.L. Rev. 753-798
- The Constitutional Dynamics of the Internal Affairs Rule --
A Comment on CTS Corporation, 13 J. Corp. Law 317-368 (1987)
- Reflections on Ex Ante Compensation and Diversification of
Risk as Fairness Justifications for Limiting the Fiduciary
Obligations of Corporate Officers, Directors and Controlling Shareholders, 60 Temple U. L. Q. 47-101 (1987)
- Corporate Directors, Corporate Realities And Deliberative
Process: An Analysis Of The Trans Union Case, 11 J. Corp.
Law 311-369 (1986) (with Dierdre Burgman) partially reprinted in Solomon, Schwartz & Bauman, Corporations Law and Policy 679 (West, 2d ed. 1988 and 3d ed. 1994)
- Some Thoughts On The Future of Remedial Race and
Gender Preferences Under Title VII, 19 Val. U. L. Rev.
- On Debunking Labor Law Doctrine, 1985 Utah L. Rev.
101-130 (Book Review)
- Ruminations On Statutory Interpretation In The Burger
Court, 19 Val. U. L. Rev. 287-395 (1985)
- Reappraising The Role of The Shareholder In The Modern
Public Corporation: Weinberger’s Procedural Approach To
Fairness In Freezeouts, 1984 Wis. L. Rev. 593-665 (with Dierdre Burgman) reprinted in Corporate Counsel’s Annual (1985)
- The Realism of Erie Resistor: A Response, 48 Albany L. Rev.
- Equal Work, Comparable Worth and Disparate Treatment: An
Argument for Narrowly Construing County of Washington v.
Gunther, 22 Duq. L. Rev. 65-150 (1983)
- Substance and Process in Employment Discrimination Law: One
View of the Swamp, 18 Val. U. L. Rev. 21-118 (1983)
- On Honoring Picket Lines: A Revisionist View, 17 Val. U. L.
Rev. 119-227 (1983)
- A Reexamination of the Role of Employer Motive Under
Sections 8(a)(1) and 8(a)(3) of the National Labor Relations Act, 5 U. Puget Sound L. Rev. 161-266 (1982)
- The Question of “Voluntary” Racial Employment Quotas and
Some Thoughts on Judicial Role, 23 Ariz. L. Rev. 87-178 (1981)
- “Constitutional Duty”: A Response, 15 Val. U. L. Rev. 453-496 (1981)
- Note, 1973 Utah L. Rev. 718
- Comment, 1973 Utah L. Rev. 55
Essays and Reports
- Comparable Worth As Modest Proposal, 14 Legal Studies
Forum 197-206 (1990) (Essay Review)
- Book Review, (G. Calabresi, A Common Law For The Age of
Statutes), 1983 Utah L. Rev. 453-485
- Book Review, (J. Ely, Democracy and Distrust), 15 Val.
U. L. Rev. 637-665 (1981)