Law Review Event to Feature International Experts
The Indiana Law Review will partner with the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences Institute of State and Law to host a symposium titled “Liability, Rights and Remedies in Toxic Torts: Local, National and International Responses in the Age of Globalization” at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law on September 23, 2014. This will be the first time a delegation from the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences will participate at a U.S. law school’s symposium. The Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences is the foremost government agency within Vietnam that undertakes studies of fundamental issues in the fields of social sciences, providing scientific evidence for the government of Vietnam in developing guidelines, strategies, plans, and policies to serve Vietnam’s dynamic development. The academy also provides post-graduate education and training in the social sciences, which includes law.
This symposium’s presentations and discussions will address local, national and international responses to issues involving toxic torts. The first panel, “Toxic Torts Liability,” will feature four prominent speakers in the field who will examine the latest developments in torts law in the United States and abroad. The second panel, “Environmental Justice Responses to Toxic Torts,” will focus on the various forms of responses from scholars and community organizations in addressing the impact of toxic torts. The third panel, “Human Rights Responses to Toxic Torts,” will broaden the discussion on various projects organized at several levels to address the international human rights dimension.
The symposium will feature such nationally and globally renowned speakers as:
- Michael D. Green, Bess and Walter Williams Distinguished Chair, Wake Forrest University School of Law
- Steven C. Gold, Professor of Law and Judge Raymond J. Dearie Scholar, Rutgers School of Law-Newark
- Prof. Dr. Nguyễn Như Phát, Director, Institute of State and Law, Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences
- Dr. Nguyen Bich Thao, Vietnam National University Faculty of Law, Interpreter
- Susan Hammond, Director, War Legacies Project
- Andrew Klein, Dean and Paul E. Beam Professor of Law, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Carlton Waterhouse, Professor of Law and Dean's Fellow, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Eric Dannenmaier, Professor of Law, Dean's Fellow and Grimes Fellow; Director, Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Law Program, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Fran Quigley, Clinical Professor and Director, Health and Human Rights Clinic, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- George Edwards, Carl M. Gray Professor of Law and Director, Program in International Human Rights Law, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
To learn more or to register for the event, visit the law school's website.