Preparing Your Application
If you’d like to study at IU McKinney School of Law for one or two semesters, you may apply as a visiting student.
Submit your application for admission to the Visiting Student Program using the Online Application Form or by requesting a Visiting Student Application from the Office of Student Affairs at 317-278-5560.
Please note that if you are submitting your application online, in addition to the online form, you will need to submit a letter from the dean or the academic dean of your law school (see the instructions below).
Instructions for the Visiting Student Online Application
The online application is used by several schools and departments within the university. Therefore, you will encounter some questions that are not applicable to your application.
To apply to be a visiting student, you will need to choose the Graduate/Professional Application. The application is divided into sections, and the following instructions refer to those sections. You are only responsible for filling out the sections listed below.
- Personal Information. Fill out this entire section.
- Educational Objectives. For academic program choose “LAW-Nondegree.” For major choose “Non Degree Law.” Enter the semester that you plan to enter/enroll at IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law. These are the only fields that you need to fill out in this section.
- Personal Statement. Upload a letter (approximately one page) that describes the reasons for your proposed visit. If you have also applied (or intend to apply) to be admitted as a transfer student, your letter must also state this.
- Departmental Questions. Access the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Supplement Application. On the Supplement Application, be sure to choose “visiting student” as your desired student status. We do NOT need your LSAC account number. In addition you do NOT need to fill out the “Other Information” section or provide references.
- Application Fee. A nonrefundable application fee of $50.00 ($60.00 for international applicants) must be paid using a credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa) in order to submit your application online.
Instructions for letter from your dean or academic dean
In addition to the online application, you will need to obtain a letter from the dean or academic dean of your law school that includes each of the following items:
- A statement that you are currently a student in good standing at your home school
- A statement that you have permission to visit this school, specifying the semesters for which permission is granted
- A list of the courses that you have permission to take, along with a statement specifying that the home school will grant credit toward your degree for those courses
Please submit the letter to the following address:Office of Student Affairs Lawrence W. Inlow Hall 530 W. New York Street Indianapolis, IN 46202-3225